Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Tuéjar< Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles

Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles(Tuéjar)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


In the center of the town stands this church, one of the first examples of Valencian Baroque architecture.

The author is Juan Pérez Castiel, although the original documentation is not preserved due to the fire in the parish archives. The data of Francisco Castellano, local historian, who dates the church's construction from 1677 to 1692 and attributes its construction to Juan Pérez Castiel, seem to be correct due to the references in other documents, in which this architect is cited as the author of the church of Tuéjar.
It is a Latin cross church with side chapels connected to each other. The nave, presbytery and transept nave are covered with a barrel vault with lunettes, while the side chapels are covered with vaults. Next to the presbytery is the sacristy.

The interior presents a rich decoration applied in plaster with marked volumes that create a play of lights and shadows. The decorative motifs used have geometric, vegetal and figurative forms (cherubs and putti). The openings are flanked by Corinthian columns.
On the outside, the smooth façade is topped by a cornice of curved forms with a central belfry. The façade is flanked by pilasters that support the entablature topped with pyramids, pinnacles and balls. Above this first body there is an aedicule with a curved venerated pediment.
To the right of the facade is the bell tower of three bodies, the second is the body of bells and the last as a spire with a concave roof.

The masonry of the church is made of lime mortar with ashlar masonry in corners, buttresses, plinths and transept windows, since those of the nave are made of brick.

Image of Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles