Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Terrateig< Lavadero público de Terrateig

Lavadero público de Terrateig(Terrateig)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


Its origins come from an old farmhouse of Islamic origin that has suffered depopulation crises throughout different stages. The first was around 1445 due to the loss of population due to the Plague. The second came after the expulsion of the Moors in 1609.
The 18th century was a period of economic growth, which led to a demographic increase, so that in 1768 the census recorded 156 inhabitants, and 183 in 1787. At the beginning of the 19th century the census was 179 inhabitants, 241 in 1920, and 288 in 1959. At present its population is 174 people, 93 Rugatinos and 81 Rugatinas.

Rugat has a valuable ecological and hydraulic heritage, due to the mountain range, its springs and riuraus, very attractive for hiking routes such as the SLV 43 Aielo de Rugat route, 7.4 km long, and SL-CV 44, Rugat, 2.7 km long. Linked to the agricultural area of the Mare de le Fonts irrigation channel, we can visit the Molí de Rugat, the old Molinet and the Lavadero Viejo. The Molí de Rugat is a flour mill dating from the 16th century, from the Moorish period, which is still preserved today. The old Molinet, also a flour mill, from the 19th century, only worked for a few years because it was not very profitable, and it stopped milling and was abandoned. The Old Washhouse, now restored, is located at the back of the church.

Image of Lavadero público de Terrateig