Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Sumacárcel< Castell de Penya-roja

Castell de Penya-roja(Sumacárcel)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The site was occupied at least since the Iberian period. An Iberian site is located on the eastern slope of the mountain where the castle stands, facing the River Júcar.
Some authors indicate the probable existence of an older settlement, from the Bronze Age. At the lower part is the Municipal Cemetery, which has affected the structure of the settlement, as well as the road that was built to get there. The site corresponds to an Iberian settlement which, from the pottery, points to the 4th century BC. The fragment with white engobe also gives a high chronology, between the end of the 5th and 3rd centuries BC, and the goblet, with parallels in ancient areas. The figurative motif indicates continuity in the lower period. A large quantity of Arabic pottery has been found in the castle.
The origin of Sumacàrcer seems to be in a Muslim farmhouse which, after the Christian conquest, was donated by James I to Andrés de Oriola. The place passed successively through different families: the Próxita, Cervató, Muñoz, Quintavall and Pardo.
Subsequently, it was the head of the county of the Crespí de Valldaura, a lineage that would hold the lordship until its dissolution in the 19th century. Due to a title of this family, from the 17th and 18th centuries onwards, the castle began to be called Peñarroya Castle.
Town charters are known from 1403 and 1417 as well as from 1610 and 1612, after the expulsion.
The castle is located on the top of a large mountain of great scenic impact between the roads from Sumacàrcer to Navarrés and Sumacàrcer to Puebla Larga. At its feet run the Antón Rius and cemetery ravines. On its eastern slope is the municipal cemetery at the foot of the Iberian archaeological site.
It was the primitive population centre of Sumacàrcer. In the 13th century, it was abandoned and its population moved to its current location next to the Júcar.
The construction takes advantage of the ends of the mountain to raise two building complexes to the northwest and southeast, separated by a wide space and with a steep drop on its northern slope. It is built of rammed earth and masonry. Archaeological remains document an Islamic origin from the 11th century.
At the beginning of the 14th century, royal permission was granted to build a castle on the remains of the old one.
Nowadays, some remains of the walls remain, fused with the older urban structure.

Its location is particularly valuable from an ecological point of view, due to the large concentration of autochthonous species in the adjoining Umbría del Castellet. It is worth mentioning the magnificent landscape views that can be seen from its summit, as well as its accessibility for tourism, given its proximity to the A-7 (València-Alicante).

Image of Castell de Penya-roja