Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Senyera< Iglesia Parroquial Santa Ana

Iglesia Parroquial Santa Ana(Senyera)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


On its site there was an Arab mosque, converted into a church in 1521-1525, and in 1535, definitively, when it was erected as an annex of the parish of Benemeixix. It is likely that during the 16th or 17th century, the Moorish building was replaced by a new temple of popular architecture, in the form of a hermitage. In the middle of the 18th century, the multiplication of the population made it necessary to plan and erect this building in the Valencian Baroque style.

The slender bell tower has three sections. Square lower section, bell tower articulated with Tuscan twin pilasters. Third level of lateral buttresses to house a missing hour champion and cupulin.
This tower is located at the foot of the parish church and occupies one of the corners of the building. It is painted with light tones and architectural elements in white. The first body is built on a base of cut stone and has two sections that are separated by mouldings. The exterior is decorated to imitate the stone ashlars and has several windows to illuminate the tower's interior staircase. A double cornice separates the first section from the second. The latter has four windows with semicircular arches that are framed by mouldings from the height of the fascia. On the outside, there are four Tuscan pilasters on each side (grouped in pairs) and set on a plinth. Above these is a double cornice. The third section is delimited by a balustrade with pinnacles and has a turret with a double height and several mouldings. The first has four semicircular arches and diagonal arches crowned by pinnacles. The second one also has four windows and finials. It is crowned by a cross with a weather vane and the effigy of Santa Anna.

It has two important bells dating from 1778 and cast by Josep Lleonart of the city of Valencia, called respectively Bárbera (the small one) and Maria Joaquima (the large one). They were cast at the expense of María Ana de Tárrega Sanz de la Llosa y Roca de Maalferit, and Marquise of Benemejís since 1762.

It also has a staircase that runs along its inner perimeter until it reaches the bell room. Shortly before this, there is a door that connects to the old clock house, located on the first section of the church. The bell room has a hemispherical vault and in one of the corners there is a staircase leading up to the third section.

Image of Iglesia Parroquial Santa Ana