Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<San Juan de Énova< Torreón de San Juan de Énova

Torreón de San Juan de Énova(San Juan de Énova)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


San Juan de Énova was an old Islamic farmhouse, which belonged over time and successively to: Arnau Ferrer, to the lordship of Benitandús, to the marquisate of Bélgida and to the Montpalau (in the "Llibre del Repartiment" of Valencia appear donations made by Jaime I of Aragon, of lands of Énova). It was a place of Moors, which caused that, as in many other places in the area, was uninhabited after their expulsion in 1609, costing much demographic recovery. The Palace of the Marquisate was built by the Bélgida family when they held the lordship, during the 16th century. Hardly anything remains of the palace. The oratory became the parish church (undergoing major transformations, it is dedicated to San Juan Bautista; it has an irregular floor plan, with three chapels on the Gospel side, another chapel and side door on the Epistle side, on the right entering, the main altar, and on the left the aforementioned manorial tribune, of the Marquis of Bélgida), and the tower (which is actually of Muslim origin and was used to build the palace), was enclosed between private homes. It is a tower of quadrangular plan and built in ashlar, and it is very modified, as much by the reforms that were carried out throughout its history, as by suffering the consequences of a strong earthquake that, among other damages, dismantled its upper part, conserving an aspect very different from the original one. At the top of the Tower it is said that a Roman tombstone was embedded, containing a Roman sepulchral inscription, which was published by Jaime Villanueva in his "Viage literario á las iglesias de España", in 1821, and which must have been found among the ancient foundations of Énova; but one of the owners of the building decided to remove it from there, considering it improper.

Translated with (free version)

Image of Torreón de San Juan de Énova