Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Rocafort< Convento de San Sebastián

Convento de San Sebastián(Rocafort)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The Stonecutters of Valencia had a hermitage dedicated to San Sebastian that they ceded in 1434 to the Augustinian monks to build the Convent. The present church dates back to the second half of the 17th century and underwent a transformation and enlargement in 1902, after it was declared a parish church. The present church is a building with bell tower and interior of a single nave with side chapels and cloister.

At the beginning it assumed the functions of a parish with the exception of marriages and births that were celebrated in Moncada, on which it depended ecclesiastically. The rest of the sacraments were administered in Rocafort.

After the exclaustration of the Convent in 1835, the building passed to the town as Town Hall, Schools and Agricultural Granary, according to the deed of 1842.

Of the former Convent, the following stand out:
The Parish Church: the church dates from the end of the 16th century. In 1902 it was declared a parish church and was enlarged. Its style is neoclassical.
The cloister: with two galleries composed of two dozen Doric columns with a cistern in the center.

Image of Convento de San Sebastián