Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Rafelguaraf< Recinto Amurallado de Berfull

Recinto Amurallado de Berfull(Rafelguaraf)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


It is organised around a central street to which the two parallel blocks that make it up are set back. Access is at the south-eastern end of the central street, through a semicircular arch of dressed ashlars, the "Arc de Berfull", above which the wall is crowned by brick battlements. The rest of the wall is masonry. Among the buildings, of popular architecture, there is a hermitage and the old house of the Lordship, which has a noble coat of arms on the main façade above the door.

In 1348, according to the privilege granted to Jaime Esplugues, Lord of Puebla Larga, by King Pedro IV, the Ceremonious, granted in Sagunto, this is the first documented reference to the village of Berfull. It later belonged to Énova until 1574. As happened in other areas, after the expulsion of the Moors it was repopulated and there are references that in 1732 in the annexe of Berfull there was a chapel dedicated to San Antonio de Padua. Later, it was the lordship of the Dassió or Decio family. It became an independent municipality, before being added to Rafelguaraf by Royal Order on 24 June 1846.

In the 20th century, the village had an area of more than five hundred hectares, owned by a family of the Valencian nobility. The houses and land were rented out to the inhabitants of Berfull, which had up to 125 registered inhabitants. From the cultivation of rice, the land was converted to the cultivation of maize, then vegetables and finally the land was converted to the planting of orange groves. In the seventies, with the progress, the inhabitants left Berfull in search of towns with better services. In 2010, the owners ceded the village of Berfull to the municipality of Rafelguaraf.

Image of Recinto Amurallado de Berfull