Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Quesa< Castillo de Quesa

Castillo de Quesa(Quesa)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


Located to the east of the hermitage of the Cross, the castle of Quesa sits on a rocky and steep enclave, strategic place from where the transit towards the lands of the interior up the Escalona riverbed was controlled.

Of Muslim origin, its construction dates back to the first centuries of the second millennium. The walls that can still be seen today reveal what was once the keep and the watchtower, as well as the cistern that presides over the inner courtyard, carved into the rock, and which supplied water to those who sought refuge in the fortress.

Throughout the centuries, the castle of Quesa changed hands depending on who dominated the town. In May of 1356, during the Christian era, Pedro de Jérica agreed to sell the castles of Navarrés and Quesa for 160,000 sueldos in Valencian reals to María de Cardona, wife of Alfonso Roger de Lauria. Arrived in the seventeenth century, under the ownership this time of Luis Castellá de Vilanova, the Moorish rebels to comply with the expulsion orders of Philip III presented battle in the mountains of the interior of La Canal, making the mistake of not defending the fortified square of Quesa. Archaeological studies documented remains of charcoal in the lowest stratigraphies, which demonstrates that the fort suffered a devastating fire in the past. On March 23, 1748, the earthquake that devastated the area must have dealt the last blow to the fortress, definitively depriving it of life.

Walking today at the foot of its walls, the visitor can recognize among stones and bushes, the remains of those who once populated the fort. Purple and green ceramics take us back to past times, show the way of life and, in turn, the pampered place puts before the visitor's eyes the privilege of views that certainly have not demerited with the passing of the centuries.

The castle was burned, as evidenced by the remains of charcoal that appear in the lower layers of the earth, the stones of the walls were removed and used in the fifties-sixties for the construction of roads in a nearby olive grove.

Of this small fortification only scattered remains of wall foundations, a tower, some outbuildings and the cistern are visible.

There is a legend that, from the interior of the castle, a gallery descends to the village, where the Arabs went out to escape the siege to which the Christians had subjected them, the truth is that in several houses, and always in the same line, the ground has sunk on several occasions, discovering a long gallery that was lost in the direction of the nearby orchards.

Image of Castillo de Quesa