Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Ontinyent< Molino de Toribio

Molino de Toribio (Ontinyent)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The origin of this mill is somewhat unclear. Some documents point to 1790 and to Juan Calabuig as the original owner, although it is also claimed that it could be a paper mill built in 1818. What does seem certain is that it operated as a fulling mill from 1827/1831 under the name of Gaspar Vicedo's fulling mill, a Bocairentine textile businessman, as some sources point out.
In 1893, the company Viuda de Ambudet y Compañía bought and extended the mill, and its production focused on the manufacture of canvas and related fabrics. This company, with its headquarters in Valencia and also with a ceramics company in the province of Castellón, was one of the pioneers in the mechanisation of the textile industry with more than 50 mechanical looms and its own electricity factory. In terms of industrial contribution, it was the most important company in the sector. It was at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century when the mill reached its maximum splendour. In addition, we should point out that it was the only textile company based in Ontinyent that presented its products at the 1909 Regional Exhibition under the title: "Mechanical manufacture of canvas for ships. Specialising in hemp fabrics". It finally ceased trading in 1914.
In the second quarter of the 20th century, the Alcoy businessmen Joaquín Sanz and the Miró brothers, who moved to Ontinyent, took over the facilities. It is known that, in 1943, the former reused the materials from the demolished mill for the reconstruction of a new factory in the Santa Bárbara district.
Finally, in 1950/1960, the remains of the mill were acquired by the family that gave it the name by which it is known today. José María Martínez Belda, married to Consuelo, daughter of Bautista Ferri Domínguez, an industrialist from Alcoy who lived in Ontinyent, bought them and installed a borrera. In addition, José María also owned another borrera in the so-called fàbrica or casella de la llum, just below the Pou Clar, on the right hand side. And why the name Toribio? Toribio Martínez, who was a carpenter/carpenter by trade and lived in the Placeta dels Capellans, was José María's father, hence the reason for the name of the mill.
All that remains of the old mill is part of the millpond and the cube, the exterior of which is built with bricks laid in a semicircular arrangement. The current nave has an elongated morphology with a single elevation, windows and a gabled roof.

Image of Molino de Toribio