Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Museros< Ermita de San Roque

Ermita de San Roque(Museros)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


This hermitage underwent an important transformation during the 18th century that gave it the appearance with which it has come down to us. Despite these interventions, some of its original elements, such as three pointed arches, are still easily recognizable. Its current state of conservation, as well as that of its surroundings, is excellent.

Made of bricks and stone, it is a free building of whitewashed walls with the façade facing the town and a tile roof with a double slope with a skirt over the chancel. Its most outstanding exterior feature is the front vestibule with windows and access under semicircular arches and an independent canopy over which the triangular pediment with two small windows appears. The façade is crowned by a graceful belfry decorated with pilasters, obelisks and a stone cross that houses in its only hole the bell cast in 1944 with the inscription Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

The chapel presides over a triangular plot enclosed by a fence that also includes the Calvary, with the stations represented in ceramic tiles paid for by private donations. This well-kept grounds are embellished with gardens and thick trees, mainly cypresses and olive trees.

At the head of the church the projecting body of the presbytery is distinguished, as well as in the lateral ones the buttresses, that to the left are embedded in the attached housing of the hermit or sacristy, of smaller height and independent cover. The atrium has a ceramic tile floor, a ceiling with exposed wooden beams and a continuous bench. The entrance door -of wood leaves- opens under a semicircular arch and to its sides there are basins for the holy water and two flared and barred windows.

The interior, of a single nave, is about 14 m deep, has a tiled floor and a barrel vault ceiling. Baroque ornaments, sgraffito and gilding adorn the walls, pilasters and arches, one of which bears the date 1696. The presbytery houses the freestanding altar and is decorated with a ceramic plinth and mural paintings. In the niche that occupies almost the entire front wall, there is a life-size image -almost two meters high- of the patron saint, a modern copy of the old original. This carving was paid for in 1942 by the local Lázaro Ruiz family, who paid 8,000 pesetas at the time, the proceeds from the sale of a field they owned.

Image of Ermita de San Roque