Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Llutxent< Castillo - Palacio de Luchente

Castillo - Palacio de Luchente(Llutxent)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The castle has a square floor plan, with four towers attached to the corners. The inner courtyard is the central point of the construction, with two floors. The facade stands out for the presence of two towers, topped with closed battlements, which gives different heights, as well as the superimposition of another later work topped in the same way. The walls are made of rammed earth and the floor slabs are made of vaults on the first floor and wooden coffered ceilings on the upper floors.

James I of Aragon donated the village of Luxente to D. Juan de Próxita in 1277, and it was his successors who built the castle, hence one of its names refers to this family.

It is considered that this castle, despite being built in the town center, has the highest part, set apart in order to control the entrance to the Albaida Valley from the coast; it had, therefore, a strategic role of surveillance, which was exercised in times of war. In fact, the first major reform took place after 1522 to repair the damage caused by the frustrated assault of the Agermanados, especially in its upper part, and other works were also carried out to add Renaissance elements. But later its construction was adapted to other uses, especially with the beginning of long periods of peace and stability in the area. In 1487, the castle was sold to Pedro Maza de Lizana, who, in time, began a remodeling that would transform the castle into a palace and turn it into a center of stately, economic and administrative life, which became the residence of the barons of Luchente. The interior of the building was substantially reformed, adding new rooms and incorporating new decorative elements more in keeping with the tastes of the time (flamboyant Gothic, which replaced the previous austerity). Meanwhile, the exterior appearance hardly changed. When Brianda Maza died without succession, the barony passed to Ramón Lladró, Lord of Castalla. In 1575 it was taken over by Pedro Maza Lladró, Marquis of Terranova, first Duke of Mandas. It later belonged to the Marquises of Dos Aguas who sold it at the end of the 19th century, at which time five independent dwellings were built inside.

In the last years of the first decade of the XXI century many works of improvement and restoration of the Castle-Palace were made, which could be shown to the public again at the end of 2010. Since then there have been many and diverse activities aimed at explaining the history of the castle-palace, its origins and the way of life in the palace through guided tours, dramatized visits and poetry recitals.

Image of Castillo - Palacio de Luchente