Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Guadassuar< Ermita de San Roque Guadassuar

Ermita de San Roque Guadassuar(Guadassuar)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The original chapel was built in 1648 in fulfilment of a vow to San Roque made by the town the previous year to protect it from the terrible plague epidemic that was ravaging our lands at that time. The materials used in its construction came from the old church of the neighbouring uninhabited village of Tarragona.

The church we know today, however, is the result of a complete reconstruction of a new plan carried out on the same site between 1768 and 1789 (it was blessed on 23rd January 1789), as the original chapel - which must have been very small and had already been rebuilt in 1710 - had become too small for the growing number of devotees. Today, the building and its surroundings are in a good state of conservation.

It is a building of good proportions in which the wide façade, the projections of the transept and buttresses with a small roof and the attractive dome of blue and white tiles stand out. The roof is gabled. The entrance doorway is semicircular, with a planked door and a shutter.

The interior, elegantly decorated and with a dome over the transept, has a Latin cross plan with the nave covered by a barrel vault with arches and lunettes. There are three chapels on each side with groin vaults painted with baroque ornaments, where the famous pasos of Guadassuar's Holy Week are kept. The large altar in the transept with the image of the Santísimo Cristo de la Peña is also very striking. The image of Sant Roc occupies the large central niche of a gilded altarpiece that occupies practically the whole of the straight front wall.

Image of Ermita de San Roque Guadassuar