Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Faura< Ermita de Santa Bàrbara

Ermita de Santa Bàrbara(Faura)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


Dedicated to the cult of Santa Bárbara, it is catalogued as an asset of local interest. It was built in 1716 with a single nave and four side chapels between the buttresses. The border does not disguise the disposition of the roof, with two slopes, and the buttresses, thus forming an ascending composition, crowned in the small belfry of a single eye. Until well into the nineties the burials by the Catholic rite of the Raval faureros made the funeral mass in the chapel.

The Calvary that precedes the hermitage was built in the 18th century, renovated in 1948 and restored in 2008.

Its wide facade faces the town, and has incorporated the last two stations of the Stations of the Cross. On both sides of the door there are two ceramic tile panels: one of them informs us about the founding of the chapel and the other displays the following poem, dated 1998: Santa nostra que empareu / Prop de Vós germans difunts / Si en la terra fórem junts / En el cel a tots junteu / Si la palma que porteu / Va florint eternitat: / Nostra sou, feliç ventura / Bàrbara en la tempestat.

During the August Festivities, on Saturday, the image of Santa Barbara is moved to the church and returns on Monday to the chapel, in what are the most important acts of the festive octave: the lowered and raised.

The Calvary dates from the eighteenth century, being protected by the council, in the planning of Faura, since the eighties. Later, in 2007, rehabilitation works were undertaken. The 14 stations are arranged alternating with cypresses on both sides of the route to the chapel, except for two attached to it, which seem to guard the gateway.

The cemetery was moved at the end of the 19th century from the shoulders of the church. The present appearance, in which two free-standing pantheons stand out, is the result of successive enlargements.

Image of Ermita de Santa Bàrbara