Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Estivella< Castillo de Beselga

Castillo de Beselga(Estivella)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


Next to the castle there was a hamlet of Beselga (which is already documented in 1248), which is believed to be the one that later gave rise to the municipality of Estivella, although the area was inhabited much earlier if we take into account the Iberian and Roman sites found in the area. This fortification formed part of the fortress system of the neighbouring Morvedre Castle.

After the Reconquest, its first lord was the knight Adam de Paterna (1248), who was succeeded by numerous other owners, such as: Roger de Llúria in 1292, Guillem de Colom (1374), the Sanfeliú family, the Monsoriu family (it is worth mentioning Gracián Monsoriu, who in 1449 ordered the construction of three new houses from the existing watchtower) and the Ixer or Híjar family. In 1506 it passed into the hands of Jaime de Aguilar (who demolished the castle, due to the incursions of the Agermanados), although it returned to the hands of the Monsoriu family, who in 1610, granted the town charter when the place was depopulated as a result of the expulsion of the Moors. It belonged to the district of Morvedre (Sagunto) until 1535.

In the castle, the functions of defence of the territory and its inhabitants, noble residence and symbol of the power of the manor were combined, although its life was short as it was severely damaged during the Germanías War by the rebels of Morvedre, and it would never recover, falling into rapid and irreversible ruin coinciding with the depopulation of the village in the 19th century, later becoming a summer residential area.

The castle stretches from east to west, adapting to the topography of the terrain, which gives it an elongated shape. The tower, rectangular in plan, rises at the western end and is built using the rammed-earth technique (clearly different from the castle walls), with ashlars in the stairways, interior arches and exterior walls with loopholes; it is three storeys high.

Access to the castle was by means of a removable staircase, which ensured its protection. There is an open window on each level up to the upper roof. The lower level of the tower seems to have had a cistern, which was rebuilt during the Christian period. The middle level was used as a residence for the occupants and the upper level was used as a sentry tower with defensive gaps on all four sides. The Christian castle-palace, located next to the tower, can be dated to the end of the 15th century.

It has a rectangular floor plan, measuring 22.5 m long and 7.95 m wide. It consisted of two storeys and an upper roof. The north façade was the main façade and had a main doorway consisting of a semicircular arch with large voussoirs 65 centimetres high. On an upper level, there were two large windows, one of them above the door, twinned and Gothic in style. The first floor was supported by semicircular vaults running north-south. The second storey would have been supported by beams. It also had tiny windows on the top floor and battlements attached to the wall. All of this gives the complex the appearance of a palace or manor house rather than a fortress for defensive purposes.

In 2004, the tower was restored and the castle elements were consolidated. In 2011, the access to the castle was adapted and a masonry wall delimiting the access was restored.

Image of Castillo de Beselga