Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Dos Aguas< Restos del Castillo de Dos Aguas

Restos del Castillo de Dos Aguas(Dos Aguas)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


King James I, on March 18, 1256, donated, in Tarazona, to Ato de Foces the towns and castles of Madrona, Millares and Dos Aguas.

Dos Aguas is a town that does not appear in the Libro de Repartimiento de la Conquista de Valencia. It was one of the towns that joined the rebellions of Al Azraq. In 1325 it was bought by Francisco Scribe. In 1349 it passed to Raimundo Castellano and later to Antonio Vilaragut and the Roig de Corella family.

Giner Rabasa de Perellós, bought Dos Aguas and Madrona with the autos made in Valencia on October 11, 1496. This gentleman was the first of the lineage Rabasa de Perellós coming from the union of Don Francisco de Perillós, of the house of Perillós of the counts of Tolosa, in France, and of Doña Juana Rabasa, daughter of Mosén Giner Rabasa, gentleman, who left heir to his grandson Giner with the condition that he took the surname and arms of the Rabasa.

Martín de Viciana, dedicated volume III of his Chronicle of Valencia, in 1563, to Giner Rabasa de Perellós, Lord of the castle of Madrona and the barony of Dos Aguas.

Later, in 1699, the barony would become a marquisate.

After the expulsion of the Moors there was a great revolt, leaving only 12 houses inhabited by Christians. The population grew from then on, with about 150 inhabitants in 1646, and 380 in 1713.

At the end of the 18th century, the botanist Cavanilles made a description of the area and its people.
Dos Aguas is located in the region of La Hoya de Buñol. The village sits on a hill 369 meters above sea level, between the ravines of the Forest and the Umbría.

The primitive nucleus is located around the castle, which occupies a higher place. It is characterized by winding streets with steep slopes and small stairways.

The castle stands out on the picturesque profile of the historic center and dominates the town and its surroundings.

At present only the tower remains, with a small crenellated wall and some annexed structures. The tower has a square ground plan with a surface area of 19 m2. It is built of rammed earth masonry.

Image of Restos del Castillo de Dos Aguas