Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Chella< Palacio de los Condes de Buñol

Palacio de los Condes de Buñol(Chella)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The main doorway in the form of a pointed arch, on which the coat of arms of the Counts of Buñol appears, stands out. Inside, the typical stratification of Valencian manor houses can be observed. Special character is provided by the decoration of the noble floor with attached pilasters, Doric capitals and classical lintels. Inside, over a wide hallway, with columns decorated with garlands of fruit and angel heads, one enters the courtyard and the different rooms. The Count's living room and the marble fireplace room, with Valencian ceramic baseboard, stand out. On Constitution Avenue, the old Camino Real, we can find the old stables.

In the section of the Calle Nueva that connects with the Plaza de la Iglesia, we discover the elegant facade of the Casa-Palacio de los Condes de Buñol (Palace-House of the Counts of Buñol). It is one of the great mansions of this street, product of the enrichment, in the nineteenth century, of the owners who irrigated the waters of the source of Abrullador. The birth of the spring in the eighteenth century led to the agricultural and demographic growth of the town, and the construction of owners' houses like this one, of great volume.

In 1906, the Counts of Buñol built a large palace in Valencia, an eclectic work of the architect Vicente Alcayne, who was also able to intervene in this house in Chella where the counts, who owned land and property in the town, used to spend the summer. The result is a facade of eclectic style (neo-Gothic door with pointed arch, neo-Renaissance balconies, simulation of ashlar facing on the plaster, as in the neighboring parish church ...), although more sober and functional than the palace of Valencia. The central element is the coat of arms with the count's crown and ermine mantle, which includes, among others, the heraldic arms of the Mercader family and the cross of Santiago, due to the fact that the count was a knight of the Order of the apostle.

The interior of the house, in the same period, was profusely decorated with neo-Renaissance elements such as those seen in the hallway: stucco reliefs with Roman armory, heraldic coats of arms and grotesques. Apart from the forges and woodwork, some Doric capital pilasters, Majorcan windows, etc., also stand out. Particularly noteworthy are the Count's Hall and the Marble Fireplace Room, decorated with typical Valencian ceramic plinths. Also preserved are some furniture, furnishings and works of art that survived the revolutionary looting of 1936. The Count's oratory, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, is preserved, and there is a back door, facing the road, the old royal road, which connected the stables with the back garden of the house.

The Count of Buñol instituted in will the donation of the property to a Foundation Asylum Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados, in which his widow, married in second marriage with the neighbor of Chella Bartolomé Granero, was integrated. Following the testamentary dispositions, the patrons of the Foundation gave the asylum, dedicated to charity and children's education, to the nuns of the Order of the Immaculate Conception. They managed it until 1965. From 1969 onwards, the nuns of the Sacred Heart of Jesus took over. The house was restored at the beginning of this century, with a project by the architect Fabián Moll, and continues to develop its educational purposes: a kindergarten.

Image of Palacio de los Condes de Buñol