Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Carlet< Iglesia de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora (Carlet)

Iglesia de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora (Carlet)(Carlet)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The building originally belonged to a Dominican convent. The earthquake of 2 October 1870 collapsed its vaults. The original parish church was destroyed in the Civil War and when the parish restarted its activity it was in the old Dominican church, which is the building we are talking about here. The construction of the new church was carried out by the reprisals of the population forced to carry out forced labour after the end of the Spanish Civil War.

It is a vast basilica-shaped building, 46 metres high, with three parallel naves, a wider central nave leading to a basilica chancel and two narrower side naves that house various chapels.

It has a façade of rectangular proportions occupying the entire front. It is divided into two levels. The lower part dates from the 18th century, from the time of the Dominican convent, but has been rebuilt. It is divided into three bays framed by six Ionic pilasters, the central one reinforced by two more half pilasters, and the main door opens into it, with a lintel and segmental pediment. The entablature is interrupted by an oval opening, which was later walled up. The two side openings have smaller doors with rococo niches above them. The second body is modern, and does not have a correct relationship with the lower body. The curved pediment that crowns it is out of composition.

The new tower does not fit in with the image of the whole. It houses the bells and the clock.

The presbytery stands on three steps. It is made of black marble and has two large paintings by Enrique Ginesta Peris and others by Joan Barés Machí. In addition, the altar holds a triple reliquary with the relics of Saints Bernardo, María and Gracia.

Image of Iglesia de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora (Carlet)