Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Carcaixent< Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción

Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción(Carcaixent)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook



1.- A little bit of history
- Initially built in the 15th century, it is another of the key buildings in the heritage of Carcaixent.
- The primitive church is of Gothic order and occupied only the central nave. Due to the demographic growth of Carcaixent, it soon became too small. In 1523 they got the vicar of Ternils to come to Carcaixent on Sundays to celebrate mass and some sacraments. In 1547 Carcaixent already had 200 houses and a vicar was appointed to reside permanently in the town.
- It was in 1625 when the great remodeling was carried out, where it acquired the current form of transept and the bell tower was erected, the work of the master Joaquim Bernabeu.
- On the occasion of the fire suffered by the temple in 1736 due to carelessness of the parish priest who left some lighted candles on the main altar, the temple was reformed again and ornamented in the Baroque style that it has today, adding a new organ.

- Later, during the Civil War, a new fire caused an interior remodeling.

2.- The exterior

The church has a basilica plan, with the accentuation of a false transept.
The high buttresses of the façade stand out, between which the lateral chapels rise.
The slender quadrangular bell tower, built in white stone and completed in 1913. Monumental is the dome that rises on a circular drum, with the hemispherical cover covered with multicolored ceramic.
Its walls are of great height and are built of ashlar and bricks, as well as pilasters with attached columns of high base. La Calle de La Obra, which is next to the parish church, takes its name from the place where the building materials, scaffolding and the transit of stonemasons, city workers and laborers were deposited. It is interesting to see the stone marks that can still be seen in this street, where at ground level you can read an infinite number of marks. Almost all of them are signed with capital letters that, together with the corresponding documentation, could help us to know the number of different groups of stonemasons that participated in this construction.

There are three doorways, two lateral and one located at the foot of the temple.

-The side door facing the Plaza Mayor is decorated in its highest part with the relief of Our Lady of the Assumption.
- The door of the main façade dates from 1770, and its crowning includes two anagrams, one of the Virgin and the other of Jesus Christ. There are also two panels of the patron saints of Carcaixent: one of Our Lady of Aigües Vives and another of Saint Bonifaci Mártir, painted by the Carcaixentí Xavier Claur in 1988. This door opens onto Santísimo Street, so called because it is along this street that the Corpus Christi procession takes place.

- The other side door leads to Fosar street, the old local cemetery, which was later moved to the outskirts by order of King Carlos III in 1787, when all these cemeteries located in the city center were closed. Even today there is still a sign painted in red and half erased, on one of the exterior walls of the chapel of San Bonifacio, just in the angle formed between Santísimo street and Fosar street. It is one of the oldest signs preserved in the town.

3.- The interior

Inside, the monumental polychrome wooden altarpiece in the presbytery, some paintings by Segrelles and the Chapel of the Virgin of Aguas Vivas, patron saint of Carcaixent, stand out. On its walls we see a pictorial cycle made by Cardells in 1942. They are replicas of the originals by Romero Orozco.
In the central part, we see the sculpture of the Virgin of Aguas Vivas, although it is not the original, disappeared in the fire of 1736. The image was ceded to the church by the monastery, in order to celebrate rogations because of rains that threatened to destroy the silk harvest every so often.

Chapel of San Bonifacio, patron saint of Carcaixent, polychrome wood sculpture. The Carcaixent painter Paulino Peris Guerola, commissioned by the Brotherhood of the patron saint in 1987, began an allegorical cycle of the life of this martyr.

Image of Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción