Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Carcaixent< Ermita de Santa Ana

Ermita de Santa Ana(Carcaixent)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


Hermitage of Santa Ana

This is an urban hermitage, located at the junction of Santa Ana and Marqués de Campo streets. It is attached at the head and one side to modern private homes.

The origin of the devotion to the glorious Saint Anne begins at the end of the 17th century, when the old hermitage of Saint Anne was built, next to the portal of the same name, when Jaume Gans (1652-1677) was rector of Carcaixent, in gratitude for the miraculous protection of this Saint.
In the old Kingdom of Valencia there are numerous hermitages erected in honour of Saint Anne.
According to Miquel Eugeni Munyoç in his historical description of Carcaixent in 1751, "The [hermitage] of Santa Ana is at the exit of the town, next to the Xátiba gate. It was founded by Salvador Talens, his son, who is now 86 years old, out of gratitude to the Saint for a miracle he performed".

It was inaugurated on 10th September 1673, with a solemn mass paid for by the mayor Salvador Talens Albelda (1635-1678) and other devotees of the same street.
In 1684, a devotee paid for the chapel bell.

In 1694, on the occasion of the pastoral visit of the bishop of Croia, Isidro Aparicio Gilart, in the name and on behalf of the archbishop Juan Tomás de Rocaberti, the first documented inventory of the hermitage is recorded.

In 1720 another concession of indulgences from Pope Clement XI "... to those who visit the chapel of St. Anna on her feast day for seven years..." is documented.

In 1870, due to the works to extend the road from Alzira to Puerto de l'Olleria, the chapel and the Santa Anna portal were demolished, and it was rebuilt by the noblewoman Amalia Bosarte y Talens, descendant of the batle (mayor) Salvador Talens, who had his residence very close to the chapel, where the Asilo de Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados is located. The new neo-Gothic style building was inaugurated on 3rd December 1876.

Until 1936, its doors were only opened on the occasion of the celebration of the feast of Santa Anna. During the tragic events that took place in Carcaixent and in the rest of Spain, the chapel was desecrated and all its ornaments were taken out in the middle of the road and burned... Only the old image of Santa Anna, documented at the end of the 17th century, was saved from the disaster. After the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) it was placed in the aforementioned Asylum, run by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. The hermitage, ruined and without worship, was sold to some private individuals who used it as a storehouse for domestic implements.

In 1998, the hermitage was bought by the Penitential Brotherhood of Cristo del Perdón from the Cuquerella Rubio brothers, its last owners, for the price of three million three hundred thousand pesetas, with the intention of restoring it and dedicating it to the veneration of the Holy Christ and Saint Anna, ceded by the patrons of the Foundation-Asylum of Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados, to once again receive public veneration within the walls of "their" hermitage.
The act of handing over the image took place on 20th March 1999.

In 2001, with the financial aid of five million pesetas from the Diputación de Valencia, work began on the restoration of the chapel by the master builder and member of the Hermandad Salvador Armengol i Gomis, under the direction of the architect Salvador Calatayud y Garrigues.

The current building, of Gothic origin, has a rectangular floor plan with a gabled roof. The façade has a neo-Gothic ornamentation, with pilasters, archivolts, pinnacles and triangular pediment finials. Likewise, the right side wall of the building has Gothic ornamentation with large windows and blind rose windows.

Translated with (free version)

Image of Ermita de Santa Ana