Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Cañada< Iglesia parroquial de San Cristóbal

Iglesia parroquial de San Cristóbal(Cañada)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


Gaspar Fernández de Ávila wrote 'La Santa Infancia del Niño Jesús' in 1764, and in Cañada all the people take part in this travelling auto sacramental through the streets of the village between the 5th and 7th of January. Although the patron saint fiestas are dedicated to the Virgen del Carmen, the parish church bears the name of San Cristóbal (18th century), which boasts a painting ('San Luis, Rey de Francia') attributed to the master of light, Joaquín Sorolla, and which was restored in 1991 by Ángel Barros Montero.

Two chapels stand out in Cañada. That of San Luís Gonzaga, built by the young people of the village in the open air, and that of Nuestra Señora del Carmen. The liquid gold, olive oil, is the protagonist in the Casa del Aceite (Olive Oil House), which narrates its history through audiovisuals and illustrative panels. Its wells, troughs and cisterns, however, tell the story of the history of the water route in Cañada, which before it was agricultural land, it was cattle country. It is not in vain that three paths run through the interior of the village.

In 1891, the patronage of the Virgen del Carmen was established over the village of Cañada and its inhabitants. That year, 1891, was the first year in which the image of the Virgen del Carmen was solemnly lowered from her hermitage to the parish church on the 14th of July and raised on the 17th.

On 9 July 1800, the Vicar General of the Archbishopric of Valencia created the parish of Cañada and instituted San Cristóbal as the patron saint and titular of the new parish. From that date, the construction of the church that the municipality holds today began.

Likewise, the grandeur of the Parish Church of San Cristóbal can also be seen in every detail of its interior, such as the high altar, recently restored to its original state.

Image of Iglesia parroquial de San Cristóbal