Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Bolbaite< Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula

Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula(Bolbaite)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The mosque of Bolbaite, blessed as a church in 1521, as a result of the Germanic War, passed in 1525 to depend on Chella, from where the parish was segregated in 1535, under the patronage of San Francisco de Paula, who had been canonized a few years earlier, in 1519. In 1574, after visiting the place, the archbishop of Valencia and patriarch San Juan de Ribera called the attention of the lord of the barony, Jeroni II de Cabanyelles alias Vila-rasa, on the poor state of the temple. He had to rebuild and ornament it, in addition to providing the priest with an abbey house (1580s-1590s). In exchange, the Church granted him and the successive lords of Bolbaite the right of patronage, that is, the right to designate the parish priests.

The old Moorish church was sufficient from 1612 to house the new parish of old Christians, but it had to be rebuilt because of the great growth that Bolbaite experienced in the eighteenth century. The work was undertaken in 1780, and the result was a neoclassical nave, with side chapels between buttresses, covered with a half-barrel vault of five bays. The sacristy and the Communion chapel are located on both sides of the presbytery, with a niche at the front. The masonry is masonry, with the plinth and the angles reinforced by ashlars and stucco plaster on the facade. It ends in a mixtilinear profile crowned by pinnacles. The façade houses, in its center, a late-baroque altarpiece of marked symmetry and elegant decoration: door framed by pilasters of composite capital, upper niche with the sculpture of the titular saint, and window covered by arched moldings; all combined with crowned pinnacles, typical of the eighteenth century. Behind the facade, semi-hidden behind the curtain of this one, the tower of the bells rises on the left hand side.

It lacks a dome and therefore a transept. It consists of a nave with chapels between the buttresses, covered with a half-barrel vault of five bays and a niche-shaped headwall. On both sides are the sacristy and the Communion Chapel.

The masonry of the church is masonry and ashlar corners, with stucco plaster on the facade. In this one opens the only doorway, linteled and with baroque decoration in the cornice, that finishes in a niche with the image of the titular Saint and patron of the town, San Francisco de Paula. The facade of the building presents a notable unevenness with the ground of the square, making angle with that of the town hall, to which it is united by means of the abbey house.

In its interior, the seven lateral domes are covered with vaults, and each one of them houses religious images such as the Santísimo Cristo del Amparo. The niche of the presbytery is decorated with frescoes by Salvador Pallás, a native of the neighboring town of Chella, depicting scenes from the life of San Francisco de Paula. These paintings were restored in 1976 by Enrique and Bartolomé Casoval.

Image of Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula