Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Benissanó< Iglesia Parroquial de los Santos Reyes

Iglesia Parroquial de los Santos Reyes (Benissanó)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


This parish church is dedicated to the Santos Reyes and is where the Virgen del Fundamento, patron saint of Benisanó, is worshipped. The church was built in the second half of the 15th century under the orders of the Cavanillas y Villarrasa family, lords of Benisanó, and was built over the old mosque of Arab origin. It consisted of a main Gothic nave with two side naves covered with Mudejar coffered ceilings of great artistic value. Due to the Civil War, the building was restored in 1945 and later, in 1983, the façade was painted and the vaults, the bell tower and the altar were restored, which is what it looks like today. After the demolition of this original church, in 1992 a new building was blessed with three naves topped by flat roofs and a choir at the foot; it is neo-Gothic in style and was built with more modern materials.

There are three paintings preserved from the old church: the Adoration of the Kings of the Stick by San Leocadio from the 15th century which formed part of the primitive high altar; another painting represents a Nazarene attributed to Juan de Juanes located in the tabernacle; lastly, a representation of the Virgin of the Forsaken from the 17th century.

Image of Iglesia Parroquial de los Santos Reyes