Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Benifaió< Iglesia de San Pedro

Iglesia de San Pedro(Benifaió)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The laying of the first stone of the present church of San Pedro Apóstol dates back to 15 August 1770. The work on the church was completed in 1783, in an unusually short period of time.

The entire population, both men and women, participated in its construction, helping in the work and collaborating financially. We know the case of Cristòfol Canoves, a brickmaker, who was forced to sell a field of carob trees and a vineyard when he could not pay the part he was obliged to pay for each batch of bricks and tiles, between 1779 and 1782, for the construction of the new church. For the works, a water channel had to be built from the Muza fountain to the current Plaça del Progrés, where the lime baking tanks were located. For the decoration of the church, the best Valencian painter of the time, Vicente López Portaña, was hired to paint some large canvases for the chapels: Saint Peter the Apostle (a canvas that was taken to Valencia in 1802 on the occasion of the visit of King Charles IV) and the Coronation of the Virgin, for the presbytery; Saint Joseph; Immaculate Conception (signed in 1799); Virgin of the Rosary; Saint Barbara (the sketch of which is in Madrid); Saint Roque; Souls; Jesus Child and Saviour, at the doors of the tabernacles. The sculptor Cotanda made the images. All this artistic heritage disappeared in 1936.

The temple has two towers on the façade and a large dome that was restored between 1993-94.

Inside, it preserves some elements of religious gold and silverwork from the 16th century. Paintings by the painter Vicente López were lost in 1936.

On the façade are the images of St. Peter and St. Paul, restored after 1936, and a relief with the tiara of St. Peter carried by two Baroque-style angels.

Image of Iglesia de San Pedro