Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Banyeres de Mariola< Taller de la Estación

Taller de la Estación(Banyeres de Mariola)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The Taller de la Estación was ordered to be built by Mr. José Laporta Valor, a paper businessman whose family of French origin settled in Alcoy, attracted by the importance of this city as a paper producing centre as early as the 18th century.

Between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Mr. José Laporta Calor moved to Banyeres de Mariola, where he acquired four paper mills: in 1897, the Molí Pont, which he called La Innovadora; a year later, the Molí Sol or Blanco y Negro, and at the beginning of the following century, the Molí L'Ombria and the Molí de Sant Jordi. The first two were used to manufacture cigarette paper, along with other fine papers, while Molí L'Ombria was converted into a liquor factory, and the Sant Jordi mill was closed, without ever being used to manufacture paper.

The main façade of the building is made up of three sections, a tall central one and two side ones that are perfectly symmetrical.
On the ground floor plan, the spaces were used for the production process, where the booklets were handled and the space used to supply the necessary energy.
On the first floor, the spaces used for living quarters, both for the owner and for the driver or foreman, are indicated.

The spaces used for the workshop functions are divided into three areas, according to their location and function: the ground floor of the main dwelling is used for storage and the company's administration tasks; an annex building covers the needs of the workers, with their corresponding lockers and toilets; and finally, there was the factory's largest space where the entire process of obtaining cigarette paper booklets was carried out.

Dª Silvia Ribera Belda's Taller de la Estación (Station Workshop) contains information on how the process of making the booklets began at the back of the building, where the paper painting machine or painter, the printing press, the guillotine, the embossing machine, the counters and the calenders were located.

On the right-hand side was the packaging, carpentry and storage section, the cutting machines, the sieving machines, the splitting machine, the zig-zag machine and finally the piecework tables.

Attached to the right-hand side façade was the space used to supply energy to the workshop, as well as to obtain chemical products to be incorporated into the paper, such as gelatine, liquorice extract and gum arabic for gluing the sheets. This is the site of the engine room, which still contains two steam boilers, the chimney used for smoke evacuation and later the electric switchboard.

In 1945, a fire broke out at the Bañeres railway station, affecting the warehouses of the Station Workshop.

In 1964, the workshop continued with its handling work, with an increasingly reduced workforce, until it closed definitively in January 1965. In 1991 the Town Council of Mariola acquired all the facilities of the Taller de la Estación.

Its current state is ruinous, although the main facade and the side facades are still preserved.

Image of Taller de la Estación