Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Alzira< Puente de Hierro (Alzira)

Puente de Hierro (Alzira)(Alzira)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The “Iron Bridge” was inaugurated on December 16, 1917. This bridge was built over the Júcar river and allowed access to Alzira and replaced the demolished stone bridge of San Gregorio, formerly called Bridge of Santa María.

This bridge has been declared an Asset of Local Relevance (BRL) and is included in the catalog of the “La Vila Special Plan”.

It is a bridge with a single cable-stayed arch, “bowstring” style. It consists of a 72-meter span spanning powerful retaining walls and no foot rests on the Júcar riverbed. The height of the arches is 8.90 meters. In 1986 he underwent a reinforcement intervention. Today it is still active, being one of the accesses to the population. It has architectural, historical and ethnological interest.

After the flood of November 4, 1864, called the San Carlos flood, the State DGOP entrusted the project to the engineer Enrique González. The bridge was designed as one of the solutions to floods when flying over the riverbed with its 72 meters and was an example of modernity and engineering at the time.

Between 1911 and 1917 the works were carried out for an amount of 400,000 pesetas, and in 1921, once its effectiveness was verified, the old and historic bridge of San Gregorio was demolished, conserving some hidden remains under the current Bridge of José Pellicer.

Image of Puente de Hierro (Alzira)