Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Alacuás< Iglesia de la Asunción

Iglesia de la Asunción(Alacuás)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


It was erected as a parish church in 1540. The temple was built in the 16th century.
The Hispano-Muslim settlers in Alacuás had built their mosque on the site occupied by the parish church. When they were baptised, they ceded it to the Catholic church, which was dedicated to San Pedro Apóstol. In the parochial arrangement of the diocese in 1576, Blessed Juan de Ribera ordered it to be placed under the title of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción.
The construction of the church began in 1694. The work was paid for by the villagers and the lord of the town.
The church has a single nave without a semicircular nave and its architecture is in the Churrigueresque style, although much of the decoration disappeared with the restoration of 1877. It has two entrance doors. The one in front of the main altar lacks a frontispiece and decoration, as it is in front of the palace of the territorial lords, who had an arch built between the palace and the church, so that they could hear mass without having to go out into the street and get mixed up with the commoners. The other door, with very simple decorations, is on the gospel side.

Image of Iglesia de la Asunción